Water proofing and bug deterring the COOP!

The gals are a-growing, so we are putting the finishing touches on the coop. They still haven’t completely feathered out yet, so we have been bringing the chicks inside at night! We have removed the heat lamp too, so that they can start acclimatizing to their big girl house!

We predator-proofed the windows with construction grade mesh – courtesy of my dad – ain’t nothin’ getting in those windows! We painted it to match the trim (of course) and use decking screws and washers secure the windows in place.

2014-07-11 08.48.04

 

 

2014-07-11 08.49.58

 

 

We also caulked all the seams and cracks and painted the plywood in exterior paint so we can literally hose the entire coop down if need be. We used Behr Marquee Exterior Semi-Gloss Enamel from the ‘OOPS’ shelf at Home Depot for both the interior and exterior, so I can’t tell you the exact colour. It was super cheap, and turned out to be super cute as well! We used peel and stick laminate tiles for the flooring, for the same reason.  This will also help to keep out other garden crawlers from setting up shop in the cracks and crevices of the coop.

2014-07-05 16.40.18

 

Now onto the run! Will update post once we  are up and running! Stay tuned!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>